UNC Business Essentials Blog

Standing out in today’s competitive job market

March 30, 2010 By Erica Pressley

When I came to Carolina, I was undecided about my major.  I had been very active in business activities in high school, but I was not sure I wanted a degree in business.  After I had chosen a major, I still felt that I needed business knowledge, but it was too late to pursue a double major or minor in business.  That’s when I heard about UNC Business Essentials offered through UNC Kenan-Flagler.  Business Essentials is a certification program giving participants a basic overview of business principles needed in today’s evolving world.  By participating in Business Essentials, I could still pursue a degree in Religious Studies while still obtaining vital business skills at my own pace.

By serving as a Student Ambassador, I am excited to tell other students like me about the opportunity to pursue both a liberal arts degree and business knowledge.  I feel that by completing Business Essentials, I will have an advantage over my peers who have just a liberal arts degree.  With today’s economic crisis, being as versatile is possible is crucial to standing out when applying for a job.  Also, the program is offered through renowned UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School, further authenticating the certification.

The aspect I really enjoy about the program is that it is self-paced.  Over winter break, I was able to complete two of the six required courses.  I also appreciate the Word and Excel optional courses so that I may put those official skills on my resume.  I believe that every non-business major will benefit this program, and I encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity.