We asked our MBA admissions team to share their tips and advice for navigating the admissions process – starting with the essay. Here’s what they said:
- Tell your story. Our MBA admissions team reads thousands of essays each year. To make your essay memorable, tell us why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler and how your past experiences have shaped you as a professional. Show us your personality through compelling, dynamic examples or a personal story that illustrates your points. A successful essay gives our admissions team a sense of who you are and why you are a good fit for our program.
- Take a team approach to proofreading. Punctuation errors are incredibly easy to make, but also incredibly easy to fix. Proofread your essay for spelling, punctuation and grammar – then ask a colleague (or two) to do the same. A fresh set of eyes will often catch errors you might have missed.
- Stick to the limit. Be concise and stick to the stated maximum length. These limits are listed for a reason – don’t ignore them.
- Recite your resume. The essay is the first chance for our admissions team to learn about your background and professional experience. Use examples to highlight your experience. Do not add a few words to the bullet points on your resume and call it an essay.
- Write a generic essay. Just as every applicant is unique, so are the business programs at each school. Do not just change the school name for each application. We want to know who you are and why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler.
- Skimp on proofreading. Submitting an essay riddled with spelling, punctuation and grammar errors is the equivalent to wearing pajamas to your admissions interview. Make a good first impression by thoroughly proofreading your essay and ensuring you reference our school, UNC Kenan-Flagler, properly.
Our UNC Kenan-Flagler full-time MBA program is currently accepting applications for its Class of 2017. Learn more about our program and start your application today. And don’t forget to mark your calendar with important admissions dates and deadlines!