UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA Blog

PaGalGuy Q&A with MBA Admissions Director Sherry Wallace

April 17, 2012 By kfblogadmin1

wallacePaGaLGuY.com, the largest MBA Web site in India, interviewed UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA Admissions Director Sherry Wallace. Below is an excerpt from that interview.

What does your role entail and what are the measures of performance for your department?

I am the director of admissions for the fulltime MBA programmes at Kenan-Flagler, UNC. I also have a colleague who manages financial aid and who reports to both the MBA programme office and to the university. At our institution, financial aid is guided by the main financial aid office of the university.

My office is responsible for the incoming students, from their recruitment to our communication about the benefits of our MBA programme to the students and also for the selection of the students. So I am responsible for the generation of the applicant pool from which we are going to select and the establishment of the criteria against which we sort, evaluate and select the students.

Admission teams do not act alone, obviously we are acting on behalf of the university and the business school. The criteria I set is going to reflect where we’re trying to be as a b-school as well as the reality of that year as well as the demands of that year’s applicant pool. So it’s very dynamic and we’re constantly shifting and using new data to revise and tweak the class that comes in.

My team and I are measured on the kind of class that we bring in. Is it the size and quality that we expected, how well do they do in the programme academically and socially. And obviously how successful they are after leaving the programme. That is measured not only by how successful they are at meeting their career objectives after leaving the programme, but also by how successful our alumni are in the long term.

Read this rest of the interview at PaGalGuy.