IMPACT

The Economist ranks our alumni network No. 8

April 1, 2014 By unc kenan-flagler

Economist.chartThe Economist annually ranks full-time MBA programs, scoring institutions on a variety of criteria ranging from how much MBA graduates expect to increase their salaries to the quality of their education.Potential to networkis one of the categories, and in a new ranking category, UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA Program ranks No. 8 for the range and helpfulness of our alumni network.  

As The Economist mentions, alumni networks are a big selling point for prospective students, and UNC Kenan-Flagler student Jason Perocho (MBA ’15) strongly agrees:

Jason Perocho (MBA '15)

Jason Perocho (MBA ’15)

“My first impression of UNC Kenan-Flagler came as a prospective MBA attending an admissions event in Washington, DC.  The event stood out in my mind because of the plethora of alumni in attendance.  Every alumnus I spoke to raved about their time in Chapel Hill and the strength of the Tar Heel network.   Judging by the sheer number of the alumni in attendance, I believed them!

I chose to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler that night because of the strength and openness of its graduates.  When The Economist ranked the most helpful alumni in the world, I was not the least bit surprised to see UNC Kenan-Flagler come in at No. 8.  Every interaction I have had with the alumni during my time here has opened doors and helped me to grow as a leader.

My transition from military officer to businessman would not have been as successful if it was not for the help of Jennifer Hutchings (MBA ’10), brand manager of Crest North America at Procter & Gamble.  She spent hours of her free time preparing me for interviews during my internship.  Her coaching helped me eventually land my internship at USAA in San Antonio, Texas.

My classmates agree that what Jennifer did is the norm for a UNC Kenan-Flagler graduate.  David Bookhout (MBA ’15) posted on LinkedIn:  “I’m a current first-year MBA and the alumni network has been incredibly helpful. I’m very appreciative and plan to return the favor. I hope we can make it to #1 in this ranking in the near future!

It is encouraging to see that the value of a degree from UNC Kenan-Flagler does not fade with time.  Lynn W. McGee (MBA ’82) commented:  “Always glad to describe the benefits of my UNC MBA…great foundation for my corporate years, for earning a Ph.D. in Business and for building connections in new locations.”

On behalf of all current students here at UNC Kenan-Flagler, I would like to extend our heartfelt thanks for everything you do to help us grow and develop to become business leaders.  I am looking forward to the day when I can reciprocate your generosity to future students here at UNC.”

Jason Perocho
UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA Student Association President