IMPACT

The Circle of Giving

March 21, 2012 By unc kenan-flagler

When Gretchen Dunnaway Mitchell (MBA ’06) was selected as a recipient of The Richard H. Jenrette Fellowship in 2004 before choosing UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA program, she immediately felt welcomed by the school.

“I received an exceptional embrace from alumni and the Kenan-Flagler community, who reached out to me before classes even started,” says Mitchell. “Receiving a Jenrette Fellowship was not only an incredible honor that opened many doors for me, but it also enhanced my accountability to maximize my experience while at Carolina.”

“UNC is a special place for everyone,” she is quick to add. “This fellowship had a lot to do with me going to Kenan-Flagler, but even without it I am sure I would have had a great experience – it just may have taken longer to get to know the alumni community, which was invaluable to me.” She credits Kenan-Flagler’s faculty, staff and students for having a lasting impact on her as well.

After graduating from Texas A&M University with a degree in finance, Mitchell began her career at PricewaterhouseCoopers and FTI, another consulting firm, before joining Deloitte in 2006 where she was soon promoted to a manager in Strategy and Operations.

In her current role as talent manager for Deloitte Services LLP, Mitchell is responsible for setting the training and development strategy for approximately 400 undergraduate new hires annually into the Strategy and Operations practice of Deloitte Consulting LLP.

Now that Mitchell has established her career, she recently decided to show her appreciation to UNC Kenan-Flagler by making her first gift to the school in support of the new Deloitte Foundation Video Conference Facility.  (Read more about Deloitte’s role in Kenan-Flagler’s installation of Cisco TelePresence™)

“I always knew I would be giving back to the school when the timing was right,” Mitchell explains. “It comes back to my own value system. My family has a history of valued gifts to higher education, often making personal sacrifices to bring about those gifts. My goal is to give back in kind to UNC Kenan-Flagler what was given to me.”